Advice please - Extra flashing job on chimney Brighton

• Categories for this Discussion
  • roofing
View All Categories
    Community Manager
    Question: Hi there, I'm wondering if I could get a bit of advice on a quote I received.

I've employed a roofer to do almost a new roof for me. Whole new underfelt, battens, a bit of repointing on the chimney, keep the original tiles, replacing only broken ones, with a couple of minor other things in. There is no issue with the quote for this.

Today is the first day, the scaffolding is up, and he came to me with an issue they have found with the chimney flashing being old, possibly code 2 lead, and not performing properly.

The property is 1930s and although well-looked after not much as changed since maybe the 50s (we became owners of the house last month) so I didn't doubt the lead flashing needs replaced when he mentioned it. I told him to pop it in a quote for me and I'll have a look.

He not long after told me verbally it would cost about £1150. Citing it was down to the cost of lead. I asked him to send it over in the quote so I can think about it. In the quote he said he had some sealant in the van so had dropped it to £1080.

Nothing itemised, just the work described Would you say this quote is at all accurate? Because it feels a little opportunistic. I did research on sites like checkatrade, my builder, etc for the average cost of this job with most places quoting around £425 going up to maybe £800 if you include scaffolding.

So I'm really struggling to see where the figure I've been quoted has come from. Particularly when I consider that I am already paying for the scaffolding in my first quote, all the tiles will be out the way as the underfelt is replaced, and the property is a mid-terrace, so I only need my half of flashing done. Would you be able to offer any advice on the accuracy of the quote?

Many thanks,
  • 2 Replies

Level 1
    Not unless the chimney is huge 😂 tbh your Probly get the lead for around 130 inc vat which is enough for 6m , plenty!!! And it would take a few hours to install . Personally I would have said 600 all in and thatís still very much a good earner on the tradesmans behalf ! This is going on your run of the mill single chimney. It would have to be one hell of a job to require that much lead and that much labour Iím sorry to say
    Level 1
    And I work with London/Guildford prices Ö. Which is always more expensive