Eco-friendly home improvements - our top tips!

Community Manager
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar panels.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1328

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all having a good week so far.

I’d just like to start with a big thank you for looking into making your home more eco-friendly and doing your bit for the environment 🌳

Keep reading for eco-friendly home improvement tips and ideas that will help to reduce your impact on the environment, and hopefully save you money at the same time.

Whether you’re looking for small changes you can make, or bigger eco-friendly home upgrades, we’re here to show you how to make your home more eco-friendly.

Our top 12 best eco-friendly home improvements👇

1. Swap to energy-efficient lighting
    show me more
    Let’s start with an easy eco-friendly upgrade you can make to your home – swapping to energy-efficient light bulbs. They’ve been around for years, but the quality of the bulbs has noticeably improved in recent years and you can even connect them to a smart home system so they’re even easier to use.

2. Turn down the heat
    show me more
    Did you know that turning your room thermostat down by 1°C could save you over £50 per year? And the bigger your home, the more you can save with a small temperature change.

It’s also a good idea to set your hot water thermostat to 60°C – the optimal temperature for hot water.

3. Be mindful how you use energy
    show me more One of the greatest eco-friendly home improvements you can make is simply being conscious of how you use electricity and gas, and try to reduce it. Some of the ways you can do that include:

- Turn off the lights when you leave a room
    - Do a full load in the washing machine, and at a lower temperature
    - Only boil the amount of water that you need in the kettle

4. Install a smart meter
    show me more
    A good way to control how much energy you use is to install a smart meter in your home.

A smart meter lets you set specific times of the day for your heating, and you can usually control everything from the palm of your hand using an app on your phone. You’ll also be able to clearly see how much energy you’re using, which is the first step in reducing your energy usage.

5. Invest in insulation for your home
    show me more
    Insulation is one of the eco-friendly home improvements that works well with so many other green upgrades. You want your home to be as energy-efficient as possible, and that means keeping in the warmth so you don’t need to unnecessarily reheat or keep heating your rooms – and you’ll spend less on your energy bills.

You can even have eco-friendly insulation installed if you want to be even greener!

6. Install double glazing
    show me more
    In addition to insulation, double glazing is another effective eco-friendly home improvement that will boost your home’s energy efficiency. Upgrading from single glazing to double glazing will reduce your energy costs and keep your home well insulated.

It’s also important to replace double glazing to ensure it’s effective – on average most double glazing needs replacing every 20-30 years.

Check out the costs for installing new double glazing.

7. Install solar panels
    show me more
    Solar panels are an incredibly popular long-term investment for the improved energy usage in your home. They’re an eco-friendly home upgrade that involves an initial outlay of money for their installation, but they can save you money over time.

Find out how much solar panels cost in our cost guide.

8. Hire local tradespeople
    show me more
    This isn’t an obvious eco-friendly home improvement, but it’s an important one. By hiring local tradespeople who live and work in your area, you’re minimising their travel time, fuel usage and pollution. It’s better to hire a local tradesperson who’s just down the road, than hiring a national engineer who has to travel many more miles to get to you.

9. Buy recycled or pre-loved items
    show me more
    Instead of buying brand new furniture made from new materials for your home, make the more eco-friendly choice of buying either:

1. Furniture that’s been made of recycled materials.
    2. Preloved second-hand furniture. Both options will help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in a landfill.

If you’re interested in recycling furniture, check out the cost to reupholster your furniture.

10. Create a compost
    show me more
    Turn your food scraps into nutrient-rich compost for your garden. All you need to do is start collecting your kitchen food scraps in a composter and then, over time, it will become a natural source of compost for your flower beds. Not only is it free, but it also avoids you having to use unnecessary chemicals.

11. Make key eco-friendly bathroom upgrades
    show me more
    By simply changing your toilet and shower head you can reduce your water waste by over 60%.

Installing a low-flow toilet and a low flow showerhead will drastically reduce how much water you use on a daily basis, which can save the average household over £90 per year on their water bill.

12. Buy eco-friendly products for the home
    show me more
    More and more brands are embracing a more eco-friendly approach to their businesses, so make conscious choices to buy eco-friendly products for the home.

From eco-friendly candles and soaps, to bamboo products instead of plastic – use your power as a consumer to support the brands who are dedicated to greener living.

Eco friendly home heating systems
    If you’re prepared to upgrade to an eco-friendly heating system in your home, you have a number of options including:

- Insulation - a well-insulated house will have better all-round energy efficiency and minimise heat loss
    - Smart heating controls - you can make your existing heating system more eco-friendly by controlling and reducing how much you use it
    - Heat pumps - air source heat pumps and ground source heat pumps both an eco-friendly energy source
    - Solar panels - installing solar panels can provide an excellent source of energy for eco-friendly heating

Sustainable eco-housing and renovations
    If you’re buying a new property, ask local property developers or estate agents about any sustainable eco-housing in your area. Equally, if you’re planning house renovations, speak to local tradespeople about the eco-friendly options available to help you make a greener, more sustainable home 👍
    ​​​​​​​

How to make a Victorian house eco-friendly
    Here are some of the ways you can make an older property, such as a Victorian house, more eco-friendly:
    show me more

- Upgrade your insulation in the roof and windows
    - Install draught-proofing measures to reduce heat loss
    - Upgrade to double glazing or secondary glazing
    - Turn down the heating by a degree or two
    - Add heavy curtains to keep in the warmth

FAQ's
    What are some eco friendly building techniques?
    Sustainable and eco-friendly building techniques are becoming more popular as property developers are encouraged to embrace new materials, technology and practices to build greener homes. Some of the eco-friendly building techniques include:

- Integrated automated building systems
    - Synthetic roof underlayment
    - Green roofs
    - Grid hybrid system
    - Passive solar energy
    - Greywater plumbing systems
    - Electrochromic glass
    - Solar thermal cladding
    - Self-healing concrete

How do I make my house greener? 🌳If you’re serious about making your house more eco-friendly and sustainable, the best ways to go about it are to:

- Become more conscious of how much energy you use and actively reduce your usage (through smart controls, reduced temperatures and mindful usage of electrical appliances)
    - Swap regular bulbs for energy-saving lighting
    - Improve your home’s insulation
    - Consider upgrading or introducing a source of sustainable energy, such as solar panels or heat pumps
    - Buy eco-friendly home products
    - Switch to an energy suppliers that uses 100% renewable sources

Has anyone tried any of the above? If you are a consumer and have a question, 👉click here👈 to ask it and get a response from our trades!

And our green trades - do you have any experience in these? Please share below and get in contact with us on @Lauren 's post here>>

Kind regards,
    Georgia 😊
    Last edited by Georgia; 04-11-21 at 10:15.
    Let's get started! Create a new post 👉here!👈
    Have you seen all of the benefits available to you as a Checkatrade member? Take a look ⭐here
  • 0 Replies