December is known to be one of the most active times for fraud. While we take steps to minimise spam and scams from reaching you through Checkatrade.com, preventing them entirely is unfortunately out of our hands. Itís good practice to remain aware of what is and isnít legitimate, so we wanted to share a few reminders with you on how to protect yourself.
When it comes to your membership Ė
- If you receive a call from Checkatrade and are in doubt over whether itís really us, ask us for your memorable word. If you havenít set one up, call our Membership Advice Team on 0333 014 6190.
- Legitimate emails from us will always include your unique Member ID number in the top right corner. Need a reminder of yours? Log in to the Member Area and click your profile icon in the top right-hand corner.
- Received a suspicious-looking email claiming to be us? Check the Ďfromí email address to see if the email address end in ĎCheckatrade.comí and look closely for any additional characters or numbers. Scammers can try to change the Ďfromí name to make it appear to be from a familiar business.
- We want to protect you as much as we can. If you think youíve received a scam related to your Checkatrade membership, please fill out this short form so that we can investigate.
General tips and tricks on protecting yourself online -
- If you suspect an email might be from a scammer, donít click on any links or download any attachments.
- Make sure you stay security-savvy and ensure your antivirus software is always up to date.
- If an email is asking you to update your login details, validate your membership or enter your personal or bank details out of the blue, itís likely going to be a scam.
Stay safe through the festive period!