Satinwood preference

• Categories for this Discussion
  • painting
View All Categories
    Level 2
    Hey guys just wondering what is your go to satinwood on your jobs ? Mostly all my customers prefer satinwood nowadays and I generally use dulux satinwood once , whatís yours ?
  • 3 Replies

Level 20
    @Richard I use dulux trade satinwood usually the quick dry water based one which is ok but I do feel on some jobs it doesnít cover that well,Iíd be interested if someone can recommend another make.
    SEAN SAUNDERS DECORATING
    Level 2
    Hi Sean yeah Iíve had trouble with the water based stuff for years , it just doesnít cover enough , the dulux satinwood once is lovely , oil based but does cover well , itís just the drying time .
    Level 20
    As a Carpenter and Joiner I'm far from being an painter and generally leave my products to be painted by an expert. But my dad was a Boat Builder by trade (real wooden boats not plastic) and boy could he varnish, the boat decks were like walking on water, it was like glass and the depth of the finish was amazing. Anyway, this is something I can do, although not to his or boat building standards, so when I make products from hardwoods and veneers I always do the the finishing myself, particularly as varnish enhances the wood rather than hiding it. For interior work I now tend to use clear satin acrylic varnish from Wickes. Ok, its not a big player in paintworld, but it is great stuff that gives an excellent finish, although not the depth of a quality yacht varnish. I've tried big brand water based varnishes but I must say nothing has matched Wickes to date. Mind you some big brands often re-label and supply others! I find the drying time of water based products a bonus to me particularly in the dusty environment of a Joinery. I can get 3 coats on in a day, with the last drying overnight. So after giving the workshop a good sweep and blow over with the airline I often dedicate a day or two solely to varnishing which saves me so much time and frees up the workshop for me to do what I do best, make sawdust.
    Last edited by ChelseaDave; 01-04-22 at 05:11.