Removing a half partition wall

Community Manager
    Hello all,

I've recently brought a property which has a hollow partition wall dividing the kitchen to the living room.

I have contacted the management company which has told me I need to supply full structural drawings by a structural surveyor to provide to the freeholders to approve or not to approve.

I wondered how easy and long the process is, or just a little bit of advice on if this is too much hassle than it's worth.

Ideally I'd love to remove the left hand wall and keep the right one in place.. to open up the kitchen area to extend it into the open space more!

What does everyone think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	1612
  • 5 Replies

Level 20
    Personally I would seek permission from the freeholder just out of courtesy. If the wall is definitely a stud partition and not a load bearing wall, removing it wouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't waste my money on a surveyor who is only going to tell you something ridiculously obvious and is so easily addressed. The freeholder should know of any changes made to the property i.e. wall removals etc and perhaps will already have floorplan drawings. So make your request directly to them yourself, preferably via email, if you get a positive reply and the go ahead you then have a legal document (email) as proof. Generally a good tap around will confirm if it is a stud wall, but if you really want to make sure, make a hole in the least visible place, for example remove the end kitchen base unit and do it there, when you put the unit back nobody would know. The same goes if there is an appliance positioned there.
    Last edited by ChelseaDave; 01-04-22 at 06:01.
    Community Manager
    Hey @ChelseaDave

Thank you very much for you advice. I've contacted the management who have told me I must get a structural surveyor to submit to the freehold so I think im going to try get as much done in here before starting this work. I'll get the necessities first. It's completely hollow so cannot be a load bearing wall!

Behind the wall is infact a space for a fridge freezer which also is a priority of mine😂😅 Its hard work this house business isn't it!

I'm taking lots of pictures of the process so that I can keep referring back and appreciating how far I've come.

It's starting off completely white and I'll get a colour scheme once its its completely bare - @Ajw post here >> on paint colours and trends is really helpful!
    Level 20
    @Lauren You are welcome! Well that is bureaucracy for you, a totally unnecessary procedure for a relatively simple job. I suppose it is a case of going up the staircase of responsibility and being able to pass the buck should anything go wrong. As long as you are paying they don't care. But having said that I am a strong advocate for covering your back against all eventualities that being in business might throw at you, so I can't really argue!

And yes, home improvements are hard work. I will be putting a new kitchen in hopefully soon, but before I can do this I have to take the floor up for the plumbing and electrics, knock through to the garage to create a utility room and toilet/shower room. New timber floor, ceiling and partitions in garage, Have everything plastered, ply over original floor, fit doors, architrave, skirting and plaster coving throughout. But it doesn't end there, tiling, decorating and floor covering. Fortunately that will be downstairs completed then including the staircase up to the landing, from there it's a new bathroom, bedroom wardrobes, new doors etc etc etc. A right busman's holiday for me isn't it, on top of running my business?
    Community Manager
    @ChelseaDave Isn't it just! Luckily I have a friend in the same building with the exact same issue so we're in this together with getting some numbers together for surveyors and it so happens she knows a couple as she is in the industry and I work for Checkatrade so it'll be super easy to find a local, reputable company woo!

Will you be building the kitchen yourself? Underfloor heating? It sounds like it's going to be a lot of work but the reward of a beautiful bespoke new home is unbeatable. I love to cook so having a nice kitchen with lots of space is something I certainly would like in the future.

I don't know how you juggle it all.
    Level 20
    @Lauren lím afraid I just havenít got the time to make my own kitchen with everything else going on, but I will fit it. The Kitchens I make are either wood or for hand painted finishes, whereas my wife has chosen a very contemporary matt white vinyl wrap finish. I did the floor plan design myself and have alterations to make to a couple of units to make it work. All end units, base and wall are curved and the worktops will be quartz in black with a white vain. No underfloor heating but a couple of tall designer radiators. Obviously it is hard to juggle everything but work has to take precedence as the bills still have to be paid at home and for my business overheads i.e. premises etc. Believe me it is a challenge but itís no good dreaming, you have to make it happen!
    Last edited by ChelseaDave; 07-04-22 at 08:11.