Chimney dripping water into fireplace in sideways rain

View All Categories
    Level 1
    Name:  Chimney.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  76.7 KB
    Hello. Whenever there is heavy sideways rain driven by strong wind, I can hear water dripping down from my chimney onto my gas heater. I did not remove the heater to check how much water came down, but from the sound it seemed quite random, sometimes one drop after a long while, sometimes quite a bit.
    I asked a roofer who came and said there are no problems with the chimney. He said it is the chimney cap and wind-driving rain can come from the side openings. Please see the image.
    It it normal for sideways rain to come in through the chimney cap? Or do I need to replace the chimney cover?
    Thanks a lot for you advice.
  • 5 Replies

• Best Answer

Level 8
    Best Answer
    You need a cowl on Top and your lead flashings re-pointed with lead seal

cheers

Gareth
    Level 1
    @Gareth Styles Thank you, Gareth. May I ask what the difference is between a cowl and the chimney cap that is now in place? As in the image, the opening of the cap is through the side, not the top. Do you mean I need to cover the cap with another cowl? Also, do you mean the lead flashings at the bottom of the chimney where it joins the roof? The roofer has re-cemented it and said the flashing is now ok. Many thanks.
    Level 8
    Actually I didnít see the cowl on top so thatís ok

no I mean the flashings that run along the side of the chimney - step flashings wind drives rain between the chim and the flashings

these should be lead sealed with a grey lead seal mastic

cheers

Gareth
    Level 1
    @Gareth Styles Yes, the roofer said the flashing is ok. And also, the dripping is inside the chimney. He said it is wind driving rain into the side openings of the cowl, and then dripping down the chimney onto the gas heater. I can hear the dripping sound only when there is heavy sideways rain. He is suggesting me to replace the cowl for one without big side openings. Do you think if the roofer is correct? Many thanks.
    @ryancq. It's difficult to pinpoint the exact problem , get the cowl changed that may solve the problem .
    ​​​​​​​of not what's the pointing like on the chimney? The water could be coming through the pointing slowly .