Meeting of different roof tiles

View All Categories
    This is totally wrong .. they used the wrong bonding gutter .. tiles shouldnít kick like that .. bad job
    Level 8
    Hello

You would expect to use the same tiles as next door on a re roof

If thats not the case you would need to use a dry fix bonding gutter

If they haven't used this or any other joining devise then that will leak

In my opinion, from the picture supplied its awful

Kind regards
    Totally agree doesnít look right in the picture no bonding gutter
    Level 1
    There should at least be some cement on the bonding gutter, doesnít look like they have put anything in there, or they Havnt cut the tiles correctly and thatís causing them to sit up on top of your tiles
    Last edited by JRSROOFING2022; 12-07-22 at 17:21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    @Mike Woodward spot on

​​​​​​​thanks mate
    Hey guys, so you should have a gutter bond between the two properties.

You should have every 3rd to 4th gauge nailed. This means every 3rd or 4th course of tiles need to be nailed. If this has not been done itís a massive cause for concern.

In regards to the join between both properties there are various forms of bonding gutter, but essentially they are all used for the same purpose, to weather a junction between differing roof coverings Ė for example, between double lapped plain tiles and single lap tiles. The most common situation is where an old roof is replaced on a semi-detached or terraced house and the junction between the new roof and an existing neighbouring roof needs to be weathered (i.e. sealed).The wrong way of weathering the junction between roof coverings is to finish the new tiling close to the neighbouring tiling and then mortar-bed some form of covering over the joint, for example paving stones, copings or even a row of tiles. Although commonly done, this is rarely successful or adequate. The integrity of the joint relies on the mortar bedding, so even if it is waterproof to start with, it will inevitably start to leak as soon as any small cracks appear in the mortar bed.
    The correct way to weather the junction is to install some form of gutter, or channel, between the different tiling. This can be formed from lead or be a manufactured, pre-formed product.

i would need to come and investigate to diagnose the problem sufficiently.

What I will say is the finish on the tiles in that picture is completely wrong.

feel free to email me if you have anymore questions.

​​​​​​​[email protected]
    Level 1
    @ironeagleuk this isn't acceptable to leave it like this. I would speak to the roofing company and the neighbours and show them driving rain can get in and the wind will get underneath the tiles and blow them off they need to be pointed in .
    The abutment should have a raised section in the middle as birds and insects can get under the tiles where they meet your slates. Itís not how we would make the join.
    Level 1
    Sorry I couldnít get back to you when you originally asked. This isnít done right but to be honest the only people are going to have problems will be next door once the snow and rain blow in. They should contact trading standards if they refuse to mend the problem.