Underfloor heating no longer cost efficient?

View All Categories
    Level 1
    I have been advised that underfloor heating is no longer economically viable for me. We have an oil-based central heating system. The ceilings are very low so i think we would have to go for electric underfloor heating as water-based would involve building the floor up and don't want to do that. I am moving my kitchen and concerned about wallspace if we keep radiators. Would underfloor electric definitely be more expensive to run than radiators? NB for background, we are not planning to have an aga type cooker but that could be an option if it's more economical for heating, we actually have a log burner in the kitchen which we will use a bit for heat, overally the house is pretty poorly insulated as it's an old converted barn. Any suggestions on what would be the most viable approach for heating the rooM?
  • 1 Reply

Could you give more details why wet under floor heating system is no longer economically viable? Is this what you currently have or is it something you were planning to put in with ypr kitchen renovations? Electric under floor heating is incredibly expensive to run, so I wouldn't recommend. If you really can't have the wet under floor system, then I recommend radiators.
    Once you know your kitchen layout, get a heating engineer round to do proper heat calculations and they can quote you for the correct sized radiators.