Knowing how to plan and use your time effectively is an important skill. Not all trade types are busy all year round. Some jobs are seasonal, such as boiler repairs, tree surgery and landscape gardening.
Health and safety concerns can also stop some tradespeople from working, especially when outside or on-site. For example, adverse weather isnít good for building a house or using a mini-digger.
So, what do you do during your downtime? Did you know there are several options that can help you improve your work-life later down the line? Letís take a look at some of the best ways to keep you busy, even in those quieter periods.
Plan for the future
While youíre effectively grounded, planning for the future is a great way to stay motivated. What upcoming jobs do you have? Is there anything you need to prepare in advance? Consider writing a to-do list in order of priority, and then work from the top. Itís also a good time to start visualising what direction your career is heading. Where do you want to be and what do you want to achieve in the next few years?
Sort your digital admin
Whether you use a business app or youíre old-school and use a paper diary, itís a great time to sort out all that paperwork youíve been putting off.
- Get those invoices sent, chased and/or paid.
- Update your work logs.
- Check-in with your accountant.
- Add any new work experience to your portfolio.
- Update your Checkatrade profile.
Update your website and social media profiles
Your online presence matters. Your website is the hub of your company and brand, so make sure itís up to date to stay professional, relevant, and in demand. Similarly, your social media is important for building a relationship with potential customers, so keeping them updated with the latest information, photos, news and insights is a great way to market yourself.
Updating these sites is a great use of time during quieter periods.
TOP TIPS CLICK HERE
- Managing your downtimeCheck your profile text is still correct and reflects any recent changes. For example, has your work changed slightly? Do your Checkatrade web categories need updating? Have you got some pictures you were meaning to upload? Will you be covering a larger area and therefore need to increase your work radius?
- Link your website and social mediaís together to make navigating between them easier for potential customers. It also increases your visibility online.
- Make yourself look more professional. Could you use this time to create brand pictures? Do you need a new logo?
- Connect with other members in your area here>>
Listen to a helpful podcast
No matter how business savvy we are or how good we think we are at our jobs, there are always new things to learn. In a digital world, advancements in technology, business practice, innovation and marketing mean thereís always something to talk about. One way to stay ahead of the curve is to listen to podcasts. Channels such as The Tradesman Experience, Pivot and Change, Trench Talk, and Six-Figure Tradesman are worth a listen.
Learn a new skill
With all that downtime, learning a new skill is a great way to brush up on your knowledge, offer new business, and keep your mind busy. Whether you learn a new technique in your trade type, pick up a new one, or take a course on something entirely unrelated, keeping your mind busy is an excellent use of your time.